Wednesday 15 August 2012

Writing

So, I am currently writing a book, and I have noticed that it's the little details that I'm stressing over. For example, I wanted really unusual names for my characters so I spent ages trying to come up with odd names. Also, small things that I have mentions and then think 'ah damn I need to come back to that'

Now, I am running all the books I have ever read through in my head and trying to work out if I actually pay attention to the names. Or, if it actually matters what they are called. Would it really matter to me if Katniss in the Hunger Games was actually called Ann? Or Hermione was called Jane? Or Sephi from Noughts and Crosses was called Kate? I guess not, although Katniss does actually have a purpose to her name, but it makes it more memorable.

Also, the little things. In Harry Potter, I really appreciate all the tiny details and thought that went into it, but that's only because I've read it a million times. I enjoyed it just as much the first time, but I didn't realise all the links or details until maybe the fourth time. So, if I don't do lots of little details, hopefully it wont be such a big thing. Although I do plan to go back and put in a theme of sandtimers.

Well, anyway, there's my little random comment. If you have opinions let me know. Plus, for my main character, I want one of the following: Laurel, Mychael, Electra, Rain or Bryelle. Comment favourites?

2 comments:

  1. The twists and small details in the story can often make it much more in-depth and lifelike, but at the same time, a book can be perfectly readable without them. If I know to look for extra details (e.g. if someone has recommended a book and said "there are some really interesting twists" or something), then it can make reading the book more exciting.
    As for names, sometimes a common name, like Harry Potter, can be more relatable to the audience (think about it, how would the story be different if he'd been called "Storm Matrix" or something?) but a name which is different or significant, like Lupin or Dumbledore, can make it more memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well I have tried to put in a few twists and ran a bit of a sub-plot about romance that isn't particularly relevant to the main course of things. I guess simply names would be better, I tried to go with ones that were recognisable as names that weren't too weird, Laurel is the main character. But thanks for the advice, I've made names more/less memorable according to importance, that's a sensible idea :)

    ReplyDelete